EC reinstates 18 more aspirants

Staff Correspondent

The Election Commission yesterday reinstated the candidacy of 18 aspirants, approving their appeals against returning officers’ decisions that had earlier cancelled their nominations.

On the seventh day of hearings, the EC also upheld the candidacies of four others, including BNP-nominated Sabira Sultana in Jashore-2. The rest are Arif Ul Islam Mridha (independent, Narshingdi-3), Saifuddin Khaled (NDM, Cox’s Bazar-4), and Md Anwar Hossain (independent, former BNP vice president, Sunamganj-3).

The EC heard 43 appeals yesterday -- 30 scheduled and 13 pending. Of these, 21 were rejected, four kept pending, and 18 approved. 

Among the valid appeals, seven were from independents, five from the Communist Party of Bangladesh, four from Islami Andolan Bangladesh, and one from Ganosamhati Andolan.

As of yesterday, 353 aspirants have regained candidacy over seven days. Earlier, 2,568 aspirants submitted nomination papers to contest the 13th national election from 300 constituencies by the December 29 deadline.

VOTER ASSAULTED

Around 3:30pm, Sherpur-2 voter Yazdayin -- who had appealed for cancellation of BNP candidate Mohammad Fahim Chowdhury’s nomination -- was assaulted on the EC premises. He was later dragged onto the street and beaten before police intervened.

On the assault incident, Election Commissioner Abdur Rahmanel Masud said voters lodging complaints out of anger would face firm action. 

“There is no place for extremists. They will try to create terror, but they must be discouraged. Whatever the candidate, we will take lawful measures to the fullest extent possible,” he told The Daily Star.