Take legal action against those disrupting BRTC bus service
Shafiqul Islam, secretary of the communications ministry, in an official order dated July 10 asked the divisional commissioner to take action. Copies of the order have already been sent to the police commissioner, deputy commissioners and superintendents of police in all 16 districts of Rajshahi division.
The order said different private bus owners' associations and workers' unions were creating impediment to movement of Bangladesh Road Transport Corporation (BRTC) buses, causing harassment and financial loss to passengers in recent time.
Meanwhile, private bus owners and workers claimed that the government had signed an agreement with them not to operate BRTC buses by leasing those.
Quoting the communications ministry order, sources said there was no such embargo on the movement of BRTC buses in the agreement.
In a meeting with Rajshahi divisional administration on June 29, private bus owners forced the authorities to suspend BRTC bus service under lease on 25 northern routes.
On July 9, private bus workers forced the authorities to suspend some scheduled BRTC buses bound for Naogaon by damaging the vehicles.
BRTC Rajshahi Depot Manager Shahidul Azam said the private bus owners and workers were now trying to stop operation of BRTC buses on self-arrangement.
Authorities at Rangpur and Dinajpur were also forced to suspend BRTC buses bound for Rajshahi last week following pressure from local bus owners.
But people of Rajshahi, Bogra, Rangpur and Chapainawabganj have been demanding resumption of BRTC buses.
Comments