No headway in rescue of schoolboy

Our Correspondent, Rangamati
Police probe into the suspected abduction of schoolboy Devjit Dutt Jitu from the court building area here on Thursday has made little headway with police only indicating that the boy might be in Chittagong.

"We have heard that he (Jitu) is now in Chittagong and our forces rushed there," Duty Officer at Kotwali Police Station Sub-inspector Mohonlal said at about 4:30pm today.

He however could not confirm whether the boy was abducted or not. Quoting family members, he said, "None has claimed ransom or the like for Jitu's release."

Son of a lawyer couple Paritosh Kumar Dutt and Bani Dutt and a student of class nine at Rangamti Government School, Jitu left their Kalindipur residence for a private tutor's Thursday morning. He had Tk 500 with him. Since then he remains untraced.

Family members filed a general diary with the Kotwali Police Station on Friday.

Meanwhile, sources said two telephone calls from unidentified persons at around 4:30 pm yesterday scared the missing boy's family. One caller only asked Jitu's father to rush to a place and he then left the house, Jitu's mother said. "I don't know anything more," she said. Nothing could be known from her about the other call.