Cheque handover remark accounts to contempt of court: AG
29 August 2013, 09:44 AM
UPDATED
29 August 2013, 18:07 PM
Attorney General Mahbubey Alam. Star file photo
Attorney General Mahbubey Alam said Thursday terming the process of bringing the money laundered by Arafat Rahman Koko back to country a drama is not only an injustice but also similar to contempt of court and limitless falseness.
The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), if wishes, can file a contempt of court case against those who have termed so, the AG said at a press conference at his office.
The ACC on August 13 brought back the remaining Tk 7.40 crore of around Tk 21 crore that Koko, younger son of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia, and his associate Ismail Hossain Saimon siphoned off to Singapore.
On Tuesday, the attorney general handed over the dummy cheque for the amount to ACC Chairman Badiuzzaman.
On the following day, BNP acting secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir termed the event of cheque handing over “nothing but a drama”.
On Thursday, Mahbubey Alam said the money had been brought back by maintaining all required legal procedures.
He said the money laundered by Khaleda Zia’s elder son Tarique Rahman and his business partner Giasuddin Al Mamun would be brought back after the court orders for so in the money-laundering case filed by the ACC.
Tarique is now in London and Koko is in Malaysia for treatment, a pro-BNP lawyer told The Daily Star.
Replying to a question, the attorney general said huge amount of money has been laundered abroad and the ACC and his office have been trying to bring those back.
He, however, declined to disclose the names of people, who are involved with the money laundering, the amount of laundered money and places the money has been siphoned off to.
Comments